ABOUT NESTLÉ USA
Foods people love. Brands people trust. And a career that nourishes your future like no other. At Nestlé USA, we provide high quality products that are essential to living well. As individuals and teams, we embrace leadership, make important contributions and support each other’s professional development. Join the world’s leading nutrition, health and wellness company, and deliver the satisfying foods that help people around the world through every phase of life.
Regulatory Affairs SpecialistApply Now Job Number 17008292 Company Nestle USA Location Bakersfield, California
This position is located in Oakland, CA orBakersfield, CA supporting the Nestle Ice Cream businesses. Apply and develop knowledge and experience ofregulations, foods and nutrition, and, as appropriate, scientific assessment to1) assure compliance of ice cream/frozen delights product formulas, labels andcommunications, 2) contribute to and advise Innovation & Renovationprojects, and 3) understand the impact of regulatory proposals and changes,through participation in internal cross-functional teams and contributing toindustry working groups in order to advise assigned brands within the ice creambusinesses, and, as requested, across Nestlé USA
1. Demonstrate and deliver on the Regulatory & Scientific Affairs Department (RSA) Strategic Roles:
- 1.1. Contribute to the Regulatory Foundation
- 1.1.1. by developing and maintaining internal networks to effectively accomplish work, e.g., QM Managers, TAG Head, Marketing, Legal, NHW Market Nutritionist, by developing and maintaining external networks to effectively accomplish work, e.g., appropriate staff at FDA and/or USDA, staff at key trade and scientific associations, and, as appropriate, contacts at association member companies.
- 1.1.2. by effectively using Nestlé systems, policies and tools,
- 1.1.3. by contributing to the maintenance of Nestlé systems, policies and tools, as part of NCE and NQMS, and by identifying opportunities for improvements to them.
- 1.1.4. by identifying potential regulatory issues and applying the Regulatory Early Warning Event (REWE) process in consultation with Regulatory Leadership Team
- 1.1.5. by assisting in training Associate Regulatory Specialists to develop fundamental knowledge of regulations and Nestlé policies as requested by the Regulatory Leadership Team.
- 1.2. Assure Full Regulatory Compliance
- 1.2.1. by applying knowledge and experience of regulations and Nestlé policies to review and assure faultless compliance of a) formulas, ingredients and any relevant processing procedures; b) all required and optional label information, including claims; and c) sensitive communications such as advertising, promotional materials, websites, etc., in partnership with assigned businesses;
- 1.2.2. by obtaining any required registrations or approvals for formulas or labels.
- 1.2.3. by contributing to the interpretation of existing regulations and guidance to assure faultless compliance and participating in the Nestlé USA policies for compliance.
- 1.3. Active Engagement in Innovation / Renovation
- 1.3.1. by contributing effectively to I/R process from ideas to preparation of launches; by providing regulatory perspective for new and renovated products including labeling, claims, and ingredients; by identifying and resolving regulatory hurdles as early as possible; by assuring application of departmental policies and actively supporting implementation of corporate policies including NHW in the I/R process.
- 1.3.2. by applying a "compliance by design" approach to assure Operations process capabilities are confirmed to deliver on claims and product characteristics.
- 1.3.3. by supporting speed to market through contribution to scientific and regulatory dossiers and registrations required by regulation or Nestlé policy.
- 1.4. Engage in Regulatory Environment Mastership
- 1.4.1. by participating in the Regulatory Environment Mastership (REM) Council
- 1.4.2. by representing Nestlé USA in assigned committees of trade or scientific associations or other forums; by assuring early knowledge of relevant regulatory trends such as nutrition, foods and food standards, and labeling; by communicating the potential impact of proposed regulations, and opportunities for alternative interpretations of existing regulations;
- 1.4.3. by contributing to development of Nestlé USA positions through application of knowledge and experience of regulations and Nestlé policies; by participating in discussion with authorities on specific issues as requested.
- 1.4.4. by supporting the Manager Technical Regulatory Affairs and CT-RSA in development of Nestle positions in Codex, as requested.
2. Other appropriate duties and tasks as assigned by Manager or Supervisor
Anticipated Travel: 5-10%
- Requires BS/BA, preferably in nutrition and/or food science; MS/MA preferred. BS/BA in another field with 3-5 years relevant regulatory experience in the food industry could be considered.
- 2+ years experience in the food industry, primarily in regulatory affairs, regulatory compliance, nutrition or product development.
- Must be a results-oriented team player capable of working in a fast paced environment with changing priorities.
- Must be a self-starter able to work with minimal supervision, and able to perform under pressure and in ambiguous situations.
- Must be organized and detail-oriented, with solid analytical and decision making skills.
- Must demonstrate strong verbal and written communications skills, along with influencing and negotiation skills, process knowledge in functional area, and an ability to communicate regulatory and technical issues in lay terms.
- Must demonstrate effective interpersonal and influencing skills, and be able to act in an appropriate role depending on the situation - facilitator, contributor, leader, executor, etc.
- Must be proficient in Windows-based applications – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access (preferred).
The Nestlé Companies are equal employment and affirmative action employers and looking for diversity in qualified candidates for employment.