How to Prepare for IT at Nestlé’s Behavior - Based Interviewing Process
Heard of the 'STAR' method? It stands for Situation, Task, Action, Result. Put simply, when you're asked a question in an interview, it is expected you'll provide details to cover these four critical areas:
- Explain the Situation
- What Tasks were involved?
- What Actions did you take?
- What were the Results?
Behavior-based interviewing is no different—in fact, it’s nearly the same. We know this approach might make the interview feel more formal and challenging, but research shows this way of interviewing effectively reveals past performance and strongly predicts future performance. Both our phone interview and face-to-face interview use behavior-based questions, aiming to extract information from you about specific projects and experiences you’ve had professionally (and/or in school).
How to Answer Behavior-Based Questions:
- Think of behavior-based interviewing as simply telling a story. Err on the side of providing more detail rather than less. Don’t forget we are not privy to your current/former companies or projects, so please articulate in a way that someone can follow along easily.
- Focus on recent examples from jobs, internships, school clubs/organizations, athletics, or class projects.
- Be confident in what you've done. Stick to the facts and stay focused on your behaviors within each situation (example).
- Take your time. It's better to take a moment to breathe and think of a good example, or briefly review your notes, than to answer too quickly with a poor example.
- Don't be afraid to take credit—define your role within the group/team when explaining a situation, and use "I", not "we". We want to know what YOU did.
Most importantly, remember there are no trick questions. These interviews are not a test or a game. Be relaxed. Be comfortable. We’ll be prepared to answer any questions you have for us. If you haven’t applied to one of our open positions, we encourage you to take a look so you can find the best fit for you. If you have applied and you’re in the interview process, we wish you the best of luck and hope to see you soon!